Valmet expands its global social responsibility programme initiated in 2020 with new area-specific local projects around the world.
Valmet’s social responsibility programme is part of the company’s sustainability agenda implementation. The programme is based on three themes promoting science, nature and equal opportunities: ‘Towards the future with science’, ‘Protecting the planet for next generations’ and ‘Equal opportunities for wellbeing’.
Based on these themes, several local projects in Valmet’s operating areas around the world have been selected to the programme. Valmet’s local personnel has participated in the planning and preparation of the projects, and the final selection has been made by employee voting.
- In Asia-Pacific, Valmet collaborates with The Mirror Foundation to support three rural schools with more than 900 pupils. The programme focuses on improving the school conditions such as toilet facilities and availability of clean drinking water and renovating a library to enhance learning.
- In the EMEA area, Valmet supports an orphanage in Jelenia Góra, Poland. The program aims at enhancing the orphanage children´s wellbeing and possibilities for education.
- In South America, Valmet’s support is channelled to two organizations in Brazil and Chile which promote social inclusion of disadvantaged people and the homeless in South America.
- In China, Valmet continues its over 12 years’ tradition to grant scholarships to undergraduate students in three industry universities and sets up new scholarships to postgraduate students in five industry universities in collaboration with a local foundation. Through the scholarships, Valmet wants to support industrial talent development and promote innovation in the pulp and paper industry.
- In North America, Valmet supports a foundation that helps children with critical illnesses have their life-changing wish granted.
“Valmet operates in over 40 countries and has 17,500 employees which is why our operations have an impact on numerous communities around the world. The social responsibility program focuses on projects that make a positive local contribution to the areas where Valmet operates. For this reason, our people have been actively engaged in finding and selecting the projects locally. I want to warmly thank all Valmet people who have given their input in the selection process and in establishing the needed partnerships locally,” said Anu Salonsaari-Posti, SVP, Marketing, Communications, Sustainability and Corporate Relations, Valmet.
Valmet has a long background with supporting local projects around the world. In 2020-2021 Valmet’s social responsibility programme focused on supporting Save the Children organization´s work in Dungarpur, India. Additionally, Valmet has supported SOS Children´s Village in Chennai since 2008 and has since 2016 made an annual seasonal donation to a selected non-profit organization such as the Ocean Cleanup, Plan International, Save the Children, WWF, UN Women and Doctors Without Borders.
Valmet is a leading global developer and supplier of process technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. With its automation systems and flow control solutions we serve an even wider base of process industries. Its 17,500 professionals around the world work close to our customers and are committed to moving its customers’ performance forward – every day.
The company has over 220 years of industrial history and a strong track record in continuous improvement and renewal. In 2022, a major milestone was achieved when the flow control company Neles was merged into Valmet. The combined company’s net sales in 2021 were approximately EUR4.5 billion based on the respective company figures.